Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami Disaster

North East Japan was hit by a huge earthquake on Friday 11 March, which measured 9 on the Richter scale. The result was a seven to ten metre tsunami leaving thousands of people homeless. Northern Japan, Miyagi Prefecture in particular, was extensively hit with reports of many dead, missing and injured.

The Australian Red Cross is running the ‘Japan and Pacific Disaster Appeal 2011’ to help those who have been affected by the disaster.

If you would like to help those affected by this earthquake, the third strongest since records began, please visit the Australian Red Cross website for more information.


Go to: http://www.redcross.org.au/japan2011.htm



New Zealand Earthquake Appeal – Red Cross

Simply go to the following website to make a donation to our cousins across the Tasman.

$2 or over is a tax deduction.


CFA Fire Danger Period (Fire Restrictions)

Despite the recent rains throughout the district it is timely to be reminded by the Country Fire Authority that fire restrictions are in place for the Shire of Macedon Ranges. They commenced on Monday 10 January 2011 and remain in force until 1 May 2011.

Fire Restrictions Details
• Under a fire restrictions regime, a permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth or weeds. This permit is issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer.
• Barbeques and fires for cooking and warmth, however, do not require a permit, but must be lit in properly constructed fireplaces, within limits of wind speed and clearance perimeter, and are to be supervised at all times.
• All burn-offs should be registered with the VicFire Burn-off notification line on 1800 668 511.
• Lighting a fire in the open without a permit is an offence and can bring a penalty of up to $5,500 or 12 months imprisonment.
• The Can I or Can’t I? brochure, also available from the CFA website, details the fire restrictions regime, including the differences between fire restrictions and Total Fire Ban days.
• CFAs On the Land: Agricultural Fire Management Guidelines provides practical fire management advice for people living and working on rural properties and is particularly useful to those new to farming. To view and/or download the guidelines, go to www.cfa.vic.gov.au.

Further information can be obtained by phoning: Phone: 8746 1417 | Mobile: 0400 986 954